Updated: Sep 30, 2019
Part 3 of our alternative Berlin checklist.
27. Chill on Yaam beach. Yaam (Young and African Arts Market) is a beach bar on the Spree. The venue has great vibes, street food and is one of the best chill out spots in the city.
Yaam An der Schillingbrücke 3
28. Visit a famous Berlin squat - Koepi host movie night and gigs, and has an amazing Street Art piece on the outside of the building. It’s a very interesting place, but be respectful and don’t take photos
Koepi Köpenicker Str. 137
29. Walk around the Soviet Memorial at Treptow Park, the memorial is the largest anti-fascist memorial in Western Europe and well worth a visit.
30. Watch the sunset at Klunkerkranich, the coolest Rooftop bar in Berlin. If you don’t want to pay the entrance fee you can have a drink at the small bar.
Klunkerkranich Neukölln Arcaden, Karl-Marx-Straße 66
31. Canoe in Spreewald – a little bit out of the city, but this picturesque area with many waterways is perfect if you fancy a day away from the hustle and bustle of Berlin.
Rent kayaks from Spreewald Camping
Am Schlosspark Tenant Thomas Rähm Castle District 20
32. Attend a Street party. If you are lucky enough to be in Berlin during the Karnaval de Kulturen or St Christopher’s Day then you are in for a great time drinking, eating, dancing and partying on the streets of Berlin.
33. Get your photo taken in one of Berlin’s photo booths. Dotted all over Berlin are old school black and white photo booths, the ultimate Berlin keepsake.
34. Find yourself a vintage bargain at Humana at Frankfurter Tor. The five story second hand clothing store is the largest of its kind in Europe.
Humana Frankfurter Tor 3
35. Have a coffee in the lovely Hackesche Höfe, the largest unenclosed courtyard in Europe. Enjoy the areas beautiful architecture and a yummy ice-cream store.
Hackesche Höfe Rosenthaler Str. 40-4
36. Eat one of Berlin’s best Doner Kebabs - Tourists line up for over an hour at Mustafa’s for what’s said to be one of Berlin’s best kebabs. There are a number of fantastic kebab stores in Berlin without the epic queue. For example, the meat in kebabs from Imren’s melts in your mouth. A Gemüse Kebap is a pretty satisfying option for those who are new to the world of kebabs.
Mustafa's Gemüse Kebap Mehringdamm 32
39. Have a cocktail overlooking the monkey enclosure at the Berlin Zoo. Monkey Bar is a trendy bar with excellent views.
Monkey Bar Budapester Str. 40
40. Take a refugee with a voice tour. Hear moving stories from tour guides living in Berlin on refugee status. Their stories are told along a walking tour from Oranienplatz to Ohlauer Strasse
41. Escape from a hipster apartment. Escape room with a difference. You wake up in an apartment after a raging party, and need to find the key to escape in one hour before the apartment owner turns up.
Hipster Escape Berlin Gürtelstraße 25